as we round up the month of november with our twins theme, we chat with gin lee, singaporean designer of her namesake fashion label.
recently, the brand has been award ’emerging designer of the year’ at the very first singapore fashion awards organised by the textile and fashion federation of singapore. we learn more about their campaign with singapore dance theatre‘s first artist, may.
1. ginlee studio has a very free flowing silhouette, is that how the campaign, #WhyDoIWearGINLEE – So I can Dance in it, came about?
Our ‘So I can Dance in it‘ campaign is derived from our ‘dance test’ – which all our products undergo before we proceed with production.
As we center our design process around the wearers, we strongly believe that what you wear shouldn’t inhibit your movements and make you feel uncomfortable all day. Thus, we have a little dance to test how comfortable our clothes are, and to make sure that our customers can be carefree as they want in our clothes.
So as to say our designs are danceable 🙂
2. how did you meet with dancer, may?
May is an Australian living in Singapore and a first artist in Singapore Dance Theatre.
For this campaign, we wanted to look for a professional dancer to make this campaign as authentic as possible. So when we found May on Instagram, her on stage and off stage personas really resonated with us. Her multi-cultural background, outgoing personality, amazing talent and drive for perfection are what attracted us. She is indeed not just a pretty face 🙂
3. how different are the singapore and israel markets in terms of style?
The local market is more skewed towards formal, structured corporate looks, while the Israeli market is more casual and laid back. Our label’s design DNA is actually made up of these stark opposites which make us unique.
4. outerwear is a focus and introduced for ginlee’s a/w2016 collection, mist. what are some interesting points about the 3 different coats; rip jacket, misco coat and the mist coat?
The Mist coat is a wool coat with embroidered details that are 100% hand-stitched to inject an artisanal handmade element. There are only 5 pieces for each colour in the whole world for now 🙂
5. lastly, we know that the studio is run by a small team of family and friends, do you keep work and personal life separate?
Nope. Work and personal life is pretty much woven together for us, because we love what we do and we enjoy doing it together. It’s like raising a child together! 🙂